About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Misfits - 1961

Every time I see this film, I love it more. I think it is tragically overlooked considering the powerhouses of cinema who starred in it: Clark Gable, Marilyn Monroe, Montgomery Clift, Eli Wallach, Thelma Ritter and directed by John Huston from a script by Arthur Miller - what more could a movie lover ask for? Besides that, it is the last finished film for both Clark and Marilyn. That tinges it with a sadness that goes beyond the sadness that is portrayed in the film. It's about the death of the Old West, the lonliness that one can feel even while surrounded by people, and how you can't tame a wild thing. If you haven't seen The Misfits I encourage you to do so immediately. After looking at the behind the scenes photos I'm posting here, I can't imagine you could stop yourself from HAVING to see it!

You can watch my favorite scene here.

A few years ago PBS did a documentary about this film. Their site is where I found these photos: PBS.org - Making The Misfits

Photos by Elliot Erwitt:
Photos by Inge Morath:
Photo by Henri Cartier-Bresson:
Photos by Eve Arnold:
Photos by Ernst Haas:
Photos by Erich Hartmann:
Photo by Dennis Stock:
Photos by Bruce Davidson:

2 comments:

  1. The horse scene upsets me! It does!

    I only saw this movie once, some time ago, but I remember loving it. At the time, I was fully aware of the sad lives of many of the actors so it was kind of a bittersweet watch... Sometimes hindsight really packs an extra emotional punch...

    I used to live by the hospital Montgomery Clift stayed at after his accident. It's now the big Scientology building here in LA! It's goregous, but I keep my distance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It is a profound movie.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!