About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MicMacs - My Review


I went to see the new Jean-Pierre Jeunet film, MicMacs, on Saturday expecting to love it, but I didn't.

Now I know Jeunet is not for everyone. Some people get annoyed with his quirky characters and the complicated plotlines he puts them through, but I usually love it. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain is one of my all time favorite films, I saw it six times in the theater when it originally came out because I kept taking people to see it!

MicMacs had the same quirky characters and complicated plotline but it all felt rushed and almost like Jeanet was just going through the motions. It's as if he was trying to give us what is expected of him, but without the passion and heart of some of his other films. The characters weren't as deeply drawn as they needed to be. They didn't feel connected to one another, so how was I supposed to feel connected to them?

I left the theater feeling disappointed. So last night I rewatched Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain to lift my spirits. I hope with his next film, Jeanet can get back on track. I think he needs to break free from the box he has put himself in and do something radically different. As long as he still expresses his passion and heart, it should be wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!