About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland - Not exactly a review.


This film left me with a profound feeling of "meh."  Therefore, I'm not going to do a proper review.  I'm going to bullet point this beyotch.

Things I liked:
  • The Cheshire Cat - Indeed, this was my favorite part of the film.  Stephen Fry's voice work was perfectly delicious and the smokey, now he's here, now he's gone animation was delightful.
  • Crispin Glover - I adore this man and am just happy to see him get some work.  I didn't love the awkward stretching effect they used on his character, but I liked him.
  • Helena Bonham-Carter as the Red Queen - She was fun, although as my friend Martyn pointed out, her characterization borrowed a lot from Miranda Richardson in Blackadder.
And we've come to the end of the things I liked.  Sad, isn't it?

Things I didn't like:
  • Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter - I'm just sick of him and his silly, lispy, whackadoo characterizations. I just didn't get his Mad Hatter at all.  I think he and Burton need to take a break from one another.  It's like they aren't GOOD for one another anymore.
  • The Wizard of Ozness - Am I the only one who felt they ripped off The Wizard of Oz?  First there were people in Alice's real life that were obviously supposed to mirror folks in Wonderland, "and you were there, and you, and you!" Secondly, they totally turned the Mad Hatter into Alice's Scarecrow, "Mad Hatter I'll miss you most of all!" Blurgh.
  • Alice - Did that actress snooze her way through that role?  She was so boring.  I felt no sense of urgency in the character. 
  • Anne Hathaway's Hands - PUT YOUR ARMS DOWN! I get what she was trying to do - kind of satirically making fun of Disney princesses, but honestly? Amy Adams already did it and much better in Enchanted.
  • The battle scene - There were several times during this film where I nearly dozed off, but shouldn't battles be more exciting? If you feel it necessary to have a battle in Wonderland in the first place.  I really hated that entire plotline, which was pretty much the entire movie, so yeah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!