About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I have lost the ability to read.

I’m finding myself stuck in a real reading rut. I can’t for the life of me finish a book! Since December I’ve started half a dozen titles, sometimes getting as far as halfway through, only to lose interest and set it aside. This is despite the fact that I may actually have been enjoying the book while I was reading it! What is this? Has anyone else ever had this problem? How do I get out of it?

I was on goodreads.com and looked at my “read in 2010” shelf and it is EMPTY. This is outrageous!  I’ve always been a voracious reader with set reading habits. I carried a book with me at all times and would read on my lunch break at work, while waiting in any kind of office or line. I would read every night for at least a half hour before bed. But lately those habits have fallen away. I haven’t carried a book with me for months.

My iPhone is partly to blame. Who needs to kill time with a book when there’s an iPhone with a million time killing apps on it calling out for your itchy fingers to play with it?  Although, truthfully I have a bunch of books on my iPhone and I don't read those either.

At night, I find myself sucked into reality television and silly sitcoms.  Things that I don't have to think too hard about: Project Runway, Shear Genius, Kell on Earth, Modern Family, The Office, The Big Bang Theory.  I watch this mindless television and don't even think about picking up a book.

I have a shelf full of books waiting to be read but no desire to pick them up.  Am I broken?  Can I be fixed? Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!