About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Blade Runner

I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time. Being that it is such a cultural touchstone, I admit that it's pretty strange that I'd never seen it before. Indeed my announcement that I was finally watching it elicited responses of excitement from more than one friend who claimed it to be one of their top favorite films of all time! Even though I hadn't seen it I felt like I had because it is so iconic. To paraphrase (badly) a few lines from a Noah Baumbach film (as I am wont to do), "Oh, I've seen Blade Runner. Well, I haven't seen Blade Runner, but I know that thing, that is he a replicant or isn't he, tell me the good things about your mother, Darryl Hannah does gymnastics, now I know how bad all other movies are thing. . ." (If you know this quote in its original context then props to you!)

So now, sadly, after seeing the movie I feel a little bit deflated. It's a classic example of having everyone around you build up something so much that once you finally experience it, it can't help but disappoint you. It is a good, hell a great, movie. The production design and visuals are stunning. The themes remain timely and profound. Rutger Hauer is amazingly good – and damn sexy too! Ten times sexier than Harrison Ford. But all in all, I don't think it's a film that I would watch again. The slow pacing killed me and had me glancing at the clock one too many times. Sean Young just irks me - she always has, doesn't matter what movie she is in, I just don't like her. And I know I am going to catch hell for this one, but the score seemed dated to me. That synthy-saxophony Vangelis score overpowered the film sometimes in the worse way because it took me out of the film completely.

I hope this isn't offending those out there that are Blade Runner fanatics. I understand where you are coming from and I don't begrudge the love at all – it truly is an amazing film. Especially when I look at what Ridley Scott and his team were able to achieve in the era before modern CGI, it's incredible. I cop to all of that and more but to put it simply, it's just not my thing. Do you know what I mean? It's just not for me. A Room With a View need not fear being bumped off the top of my list by Blade Runner.

At least now I won't get that irritating, "You've never seen Blade Runner?!?" reaction ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!