About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Town - Movie Review


Ok, I just don't get it. Why did this movie get so much praise? A 94% Fresh rating on rottentomatoes.com?? Did we watch the same movie? I can't even properly review this, so I'm just going to bullet point it:
  • Implausible plot - I'm sorry, but I just didn't believe it.  There is no way that criminals that are supposed to be so good at evading the FBI could be this dumb.
  • Terrible acting or overacting - Seriously, what was Jon Hamm thinking?  "Oh I get to NOT be Don Draper so I better chew as much scenery as possible so people can see that I CAN not be Don Draper."  He was laughably bad.  Blake Lively and Jeremy Renner overacted too.  Ben didn't overact, but he didn't act very well.  The best of the whole bunch was the late, great Pete Postlethwaite.
  • Cheeseball dialogue - Mainly spewed out by Jon Hamm.  I guess they decided that the cheesiest actor could have the cheesiest lines like this one, "This is the not fucking around crew so get me something that looks like a print because this not fucking around thing is about to go both ways."
  • My favorite line in the entire movie?  When Jon Hamm says to Rebecca Hall's character after the lightbulb goes off that she warned Ben Affleck away, "You know we are a NATIONAL organization."  WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???  So what, she can't fool you guys because you're a NATIONAL organization?  Dumbest line EVER.
So yeah, all in all I thought this film was terrible and I am completely baffled by the attention it got last year. The seeds of a good movie were there...they just didn't pull it off.

2 comments:

  1. I think the "national organization" line meant we can hunt you down in another state. Of course, whose to say he didn't leave the country (which would've been smarter than going to Florida).

    Not a bad movie but not a great movie. It was entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes more sense when you put it in that context, but it's still a really dumb line and Jon Hamm's delivery was terrible.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!