About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Monday, November 1, 2010

Never Let Me Go - Movie Review


I went eagerly to see Mark Romanek's film adaptation of Kazuo Ishiguro's novel Never Let Me Go. I haven't read the novel so I went into the film somewhat blind, having tried to avoid as much as I could any details of the story, because I knew that the story had a secret. I expected the film to look beautiful and to be finely acted but I didn't expect it to be so profoundly sad. This is a story that explores big ideas of identity and the soul and one's worth and cruelty and the lengths humans could go in the name of science.  It explores these big ideas, but it explores them quietly, thoughtfully, and seemingly without providing any answers to all the questions generated.  I was deeply touched by this film.  I bawled my eyes out and that is mainly due to the talented young cast of Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley, and especially Andrew Garfield who continues to amaze me with his honesty on film.  Even if he hadn't been cast as the new Spiderman, that kid would have a damn fine future ahead of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!