About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Monday, June 28, 2010

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Book Review

The Elegance of the Hedgehog The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Ultimately I really liked this book, but it wasn't immediately clear that I was going to feel that way about it. As it began I was leery of the many philosophical digressions that peppered its pages. I'm not well read in philosophy and I was worried it was all going to be over my head or make my eyes roll at such grand ideas. But eventually I got used to the ramblings, and even started to enjoy them. Besides, the ramblings lessened as the plot progressed and then I became more and more attached to the characters and eager to know how they would intersect and how everything was going to work out for them.

I was also very attracted to the pop culture references throughout the book and have taken notes on movies to rent and music to listen to and paintings to look at.

I read Anna Karenina last year and was thrilled when references to it were laced throughout The Elegance of the Hedgehog. But don't think that if you haven't read Anna Karenina that your enjoyment of this book would be diminished. I don't think you have to have read, or watched, or listened to, or looked at, every book, or movie, or song, or painting that is referenced in this story. But once you've finished reading this, you can go find these things (as I will) and therefore enhance your overal experience with this story and enhance your life as well.


View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!