About Me

My photo
Pop culture junkie, native of Las Vegas, not really a writer.
You can stalk me on Twitter here:
http://twitter.com/Kerry_McC

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are - My Uncertain Review


I’ve been trying to collect my thoughts about Where the Wild Things Are since I saw it last week. The fact that I’m still thinking about it and mulling it over in my brain is a positive sign. I’ve even amended my first reaction which was "I never want to watch this again," to "Ok, maybe I NEED to watch this again."

I went in sure that I was going to love the film. The trailers alone filled me with so much happiness that I would tear up a little bit. Yes, I cry when I’m happy as well as when I’m sad. I retained my initial positive attitude as the film began but it soon started spiraling downward as the film progressed. By the end I was a wreck: crying, depressed, disappointed. I’m still kind of angry that Spike Jonze chose to tell the story in such a gloomy way that I was not left buoyed by it at all, but rather deflated.

I get what he was trying to do. I understand completely what his intent was and I even admire his determination. But what’s wrong with a little bit of happiness? What’s wrong with a little bit of joy? Every time those emotions peeked through in the film, they were quickly choked back by jealousy, mean spiritedness, and loneliness. Ugh.

Things I liked:

Max Records - the kid is incredible and he carries the film firmly on his strong, little shoulders.
The look of the film – everything was absolutely freaking gorgeous: cinematography, the use of light, set design, the creatures, props, everything. There were scenes that made my heart ache they were so beautiful.
The music – I have the soundtrack by "Karen O and the Kids" and it’s wonderful. The music taken on its own gives me the feeling that I wanted the film itself to give me.
The voice actors – these actors contributed stunning voice work for the wild things and it was a seamless transition from the expressions in their voices to the physical expressiveness of the creatures.

In the end, I still don’t know how I feel about the film. I wanted to love it, but I didn’t. I never thought of Sendak’s book as being a sad story but Spike Jonze gave us a sad film. The film captured my imagination with its unique visual beauty, but it didn’t capture my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to read some interviews with Spike Jonze so he can explain why he interpreted the book the way he did. I need to see it, it does look really beautiful! I'm glad it was thought provoking for you but I'm also sorry that it was mostly just provoking.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome! Thank you!